Hiking & Backpacking First Aid Kit Buyers Guide
To help you find the best first aid kit for your next hiking, camping, or backpacking trip, you are going to need to know a few things about the dangers on the trail and the supplies that are going to be the most important during your travels.
Common Backpacking and Hiking Ailments to be Aware Of
If you are looking for a first aid kit to take backpacking or hiking, then you need to know what type of medical ailments may require your attention while you are out in nature. Here are a few of the most common concerns that you may need to prepare for:
- Blisters – Blisters are common on the trail, especially if you are not wearing shoes that fit your feet properly so that they do not rub against your skin as you walk. If you notice that a spot is rubbing as you walk, you can apply some tape to your skin to help stop the formation of the blister.
- Sunburn – Since you are going to be outdoors for the majority of your hiking trip, you will need to prevent sunburn before it causes you to be in agonizing pain while you are backpacking. Long sleeves and lots of sunscreen are going to be required, but you are also going to need some aloe in case you do get burnt.
- Itching – This can be caused by a number of things such as chaffing skin (how to prevent chafing), bug bites, or poison. Calamine lotion can help soothe any itch, but the best way to prepare for poison is being able to identify the different types when you encounter them.
- Scrapes – These are likely to occur as you hike through bushes and rocky areas of the trail.
- Muscle Cramps – If you are not used to walking long distances for days at a time, your body may cramp along the trail, especially if you are not taking the time to stretch.
- Twisted Ankles – Most trails have a lot of rocks and uneven paths that you will be exploring, so if you step down the wrong way, you can easily twist or sprain your ankle. If the injury is too bad, you may need to make a brace and find a hiking stick to help you along the way.
What to Look for in the Best Backpacking First Aid Kit
A good survival medical kit is going to need to have a lot of features that you’ll need for a safe trip. You will want to look for a kit that is compact in size that still has a lot of space for essential items to be stored. You will want to shoot for a kit that is waterproof because you never know what you will encounter that will ruin your bandages and make them unusable when you need them the most. Let’s take a look at some of the items that you will want you first aid kit to include.
Essential Items for the Best First Aid Kit
- Waterproof medical tape
- Bandages that differ in size
- Butterfly bandages
- Antiseptic wipes
- Anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen
- Anti-diarrhea medication, antacids, and laxatives
- Eye drops
- Electrolyte tablets to stay hydrated
- Safety pins
- Sterile pads
- Antihistamine medication such as Benadryl
- Antibacterial ointment
Optional Items for the Best First Aid Kit
- Liquid bandages
- Aloe Vera
- Rehydration salts
- Calamine lotion
- EpiPen (just in case)
- Needle and thread
For a more complete list check out our spreadsheet of suggested items below.
Types of Trip to Prepare For
When you are preparing for a trip in the wilderness, you are going to need to consider the amount of time that you will be out on the trail. There are day trips that you can enjoy, weekend trips, and multiday trips that can last anywhere from a week or so to a few months. Each of these trips should be prepared for differently, but you should also take the number of people and the type of exploration that you’ll be enjoying along the way into account. Hiking means that you will be following trails that are well-marked. Backpacking trips are slightly longer than a one day hike; these are often weekend to week-long trips. Mountaineering means trekking to heights that are typically at least 5,000 feet above sea level.
The Importance of Finding a Lightweight, Compact Kit
When you are hiking, nothing is more prohibitive than having a large backpack to slow you down. A great way to minimize the weight is to find a compact kit that is lightweight and can easily fit in or attach to your bag. Most wilderness first aid kits that you will want to consider are going to weigh less than a pound.
First Aid Kit Reviews
JIEXING First Aid KitJIEXING First Aid Kit with 105 Pieces Medical Emergency Bag for Home,Survial,Car,Travel,Sports,Outdoor,Hunting.
- 105PCS ESSENTIAL ITEMS:The first aid kit comes with 105 essential basic…
- MEDICAL GRADE QUALITY:It is approved by the FDA safety standards for…
- WELL ORGANIZED KIT: First aid kit features a compact,portable and…
- FOR ANY EMERGENCY SITUATION :The ideal combination of medical supplies and…
- QUALITY & GUARANTEE: The kit is made of high-quality 600D Canvas and all…
The JIEXING first aid kit is a small, ultralight first aid kit that is designed to fit in your backpack – no matter how many days you are exploring the trail. It is made of a durable heavy-duty fabric that is able to withstand any abuse it may encounter in the wild, and it is also waterproof, which means that all of your supplies will remain dry. This kit comes with 45 pads, pins, bandages, and other essentials, but if you feel that the kit needs something added to it, the spacious design is ideal for customization.
- It has a travel-friendly design that is ideal for camping and hiking.
- This kit contains hospital grade medical supplies.
- The bag has a very durable zipper that will not break if it is dropped.
- The kit has a waterproof design that will protect the bandages from the rain.
- It can easily fit into a backpack.
- This unit contains a lot of the basic first aid items that a hiker needs.
- The zipper is not fully waterproofBottom-Line: This product is best for short hiking trips or as an ultralight backpacking first aid kit
Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight WatertightAdventure Medical Kits UltraLight and Watertight
- Designed for one to four people on trips up to four days—ultralight and…
- Pair nitrile gloves, hand wipe, 5 x 9 in. trauma pad (to control…
- 3 safety pins, 1 splinter picker/tick remover forceps. stop pain, stomach…
- 2 x 26 in.. Kit size: 6 x 8.5 x 3.5 in.. Weight: 8.4 oz..
The Adventure Medical Kit is a lightweight kit that features a waterproof design. In fact, even the zipper on this kit is designed to be waterproof, so if your kit accidentally gets submerged, the contents inside of the kit will remain dry. The seams on the bag are taped for added protection, and the kit has a double layer bag as well. In this kit, you will find materials to care for wounds, bandages, blister, and burn care essentials, medications that you may need along the way, tweezers, and pre-cut moleskin.
- The kit contains enough materials for two on a trip that lasts about four days.
- The kit has a two-stage waterproof design.
- The zipper is waterproof as well.
- The bag is coated with a water-repellent coating to protect it from the elements.
- The bright yellow colored kit is easy to see.
- The unit is very lightweight, making it easy to carry.
- The pre-cut moleskin is too small for most blisters.Bottom-Line: This product is one of the most waterproof first aid kits on the market, which makes it great for weekend backpacking trips. Our top tip for the best first aid kit for backpacking.
Survival Prep Warehouse Perfect Survival Kit1 Person Deluxe Survival Kit Ideal for Earthquake, Evacuation, Emergency Disaster Preparedness 72 Hour Kits for Home, Work or Auto: 1 Person
- Everything you will need to survive for 72hrs after any natural or man made…
- Includes Food & Water, Light & Communication, Shelter, Tools, First Aid &…
- We give you twice as much water as other manufacturers of Survival Kits
- Lightweight, Portable and Easy to Grab in the event of an evactuation
The Survival Prep Warehouse Survival Kit is one that was designed for two people to use in an emergency, but if you like to go hiking, the kit is designed for a period of 72 hours. In fact, the kit comes with 25 essentials that you may need while you are out in nature, and they are all stored away in a bright red backpack that has plenty of additional space that you can use to store snacks and other things that you need for your hiking trip. The kit also includes bandages, cleaning pads, a medical tape, tweezers, scissors, water, and even some food bars that you can use if you need to replenish your energy.
- The kit has enough supplies for a period of 72 hours.
- The kit includes extra items for survival.
- The carry case is actually a backpack that can store additional items.
- There are actually two first aid kits inside of the survival kit.
- This is an ideal kit for two individuals.
- The food and water that is included can be great for long backpacking adventures.
- The zipper on the backpack is not the best.Bottom-Line: This first aid kit is great if you get lost along the trail.
Surviveware Small First Aid KitSurviveware Small First Aid Kit with Labelled Compartments for Hiking, Backpacking, Camping, Travel, Car and Cycling.
- BUILT TO LAST. Made from 600D Polyester this first aid kit comes in the…
- COMPACT, LIGHT AND PORTABLE. This first-aid kit comes with 100 essential…
- WATERPROOF INNER CONTENTS. The bag is water-resistant. All inner items are…
- ORGANIZATION IS THE KEY TO SURVIVE. Each inner sleeve is labeled according…
- FDA APPROVED MEDICAL KIT. This kit is FDA approved and has passed the…
If you are looking for a small, compact first aid kit that you can easily take hiking with you, then this Surviveware kit is a great option to consider. It comes with over 100 basic first aid essentials, and this small kit still weighs less than a pound. In addition, this kit can easily fit inside of your bag, but if you don’t have any spare space in your backpack, there is a strap on the exterior of the unit that you can use to attach it to your bag. The first aid kit is designed from a strong polymer material that is not going to become damaged on the trail. It includes essentials such as alcoholic and antiseptic wipes, gauze, bandages, splinter probes, sting relief wipes, and a whistle.
- Durable, stainless steel scissors are included in the kit.
- It comes with additional space for customization.
- The kit has a waterproof design.
- This kit comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- The kit has an organizer inside the bag.
- The kit can easily be attached to your backpack while you are hiking.
- The kit does not come with any ointment.Bottom-Line: This kit is one of the best compact first aid kits for saving space and our best first aid kit for hiking.
Coleman All Purpose Mini First Aid KitColeman All Purpose Mini First Aid Kit – 27 Pieces
- Coleman 27-Piece All Purpose Mini First Aid Kit for car, home and…
- 27-piece travel first aid kit offers commonly used first aid essentials for…
- Reusable metal tin case is crush-proof to protect contents
- Embossed logo allows for quick identification. Environmentally conscious -…
- Compact first aid kit includes latex free bandages, sting relief wipes,…
The next first aid kit that we are going to look at, which is the Coleman All Purpose Mini, is a kit that designed to include 27 of the most needed first aid essentials. Inside the kit, you will find antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, and plenty of bandage options that you can use to tend to a small cut, scrape, or wound. There are also sting relief wipes in the kit that can be used if you are bitten or stung by an insect along the trail.
- There are three sizes available.
- The tin is quite durable.
- The bright white cross makes it easy to see the kit in the dark.
- The tin has a hinged top that is easy to open.
- It is a great kit for cuts and scrapes.
- Barely noticeable in your bag.
- The tin does not have a waterproof design.Bottom-Line: This is a great first aid kit for a moderate hike.
Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Backpacker KitAdventure Medical Kits Amk Mountain Backpacker First Aid Kit
- A Condensed Guide to Wilderness Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D: Offering…
- Semi-Transparent, Secure Pockets: See-through pockets protect items from…
- Pain and Illness Remedies: Medication for allergic reactions, itches, pain…
- Blister Management Tools: 14 pre-cut and shaped moleskin pieces make it…
- Group Size: 1 – 2 People. Trip Duration: 1 – 4 Days. Imported.
The Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Backer Kit aid kit that we are going to review is one that is sized perfectly for a few days out in the wilderness. The kit includes things like bandages, gauze, medical tape, scissors, tweezers, after-bite relief moists, and antibacterial pads. The bag itself is designed to be easy to carry, so it has a handle on the top for times when it is not stored in your backpack. Each pocket is labeled so that you can keep the first aid kit organized, which makes it easier to find specific medical equipment.
- This is a lightweight kit that is only about 12 ounces.
- The first aid kit has a fold-open design.
- The kit comes with a guide to help you with first aid techniques.
- All of the mesh pockets have zippers.
- This bag is designed with extra space to customize the kit.
- The mesh pockets make it easy to locate items.
- The bag is not waterproof.Bottom-Line: This is a great kit for exploring a mountainous region.
First Aid Only First Aid Outdoor KitSaleFirst Aid Only Outdoor First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 205-Piece Kit
- Contains 205 essential first aid supplies for treating minor aches and…
- Clear plastic liner in nylon case for organization and easy access to…
- Orange color pouch makes the kit easy to find
- Soft sided, zippered case great for travel and on the go use
- Ideal for camping, hiking, home or vehicle
If you are looking for a small first aid kit that can easily fit into your backpack, then the First Aid Only First Aid Outdoor Kit that we are going to look at, which is designed to open up like a book, is a great option to consider. The kit is designed to close easily with a zipper, so you will not lose any of your first aid essentials in your bag, and the bright orange exterior is very easy to see in the dark. When you open the kit, you will notice that the pockets that hold the bandages, gauze, tweezers, and tape are both clear, which helps keep the first aid essentials clean when they are not needed.
- The compact kit includes 205 pieces.
- There is a first aid guide included in the kit.
- The exterior of the kit features a very durable design.
- Sunblock is included in this kit.
- The clear pouches make it easy to find a bandage.
- The compact case holds quite a bit of first aid essentials.
- It’s missing essentials to deal with a sprain.Bottom-Line: If you need medical treatment quickly, this is the best kit to have on hand.
Adventure Medical Kits Adventure 2.0Adventure Medical Kits Adventure First Aid Medical Kit 2.0
- Kit measures approximately 6 x 8.5 x 1.5 inches; accommodates 1-4 people…
- Coated nylon outer bag with a waterproof inner plastic storage pouches work…
- Contains a wide array of medications to treat pain, inflammation, and…
- With supplies organized into injury-specific pockets, anyone can give fast…
- Wide elastic bandages to help manage and support fractures and sprains
The Adventure 2.0 from Adventure Medical Kits is one that is designed to treat small cuts and scrapes that you may get while you are on the trail as well as blisters, sprains and strains, and even muscle pains. The kit also contains medications to help if you suffer from an allergic reaction while on the trail or you get a headache. The Adventure 2.0 has enough supplies for a group of four, and it even comes with a manual to give you tips on giving first aid to children.
- This lightweight kit only weighs a pound.
- It’s filled with enough supplies for four.
- See-through pouches make it easy to find the items you need.
- The bag has a waterproof design.
- The small design of the bag makes it easy to pack in your backpack.
- The kit has plenty of space to add more medication.
- The kit is only designed for a day trip.Bottom-Line: This is a great first aid kit to have for a family hiking trip.
I Go First Aid KitSaleI GO Compact First Aid Kit – Hard Shell Case for Hiking, Camping, Travel, Car – 85 Pieces
- ECONOMICAL VALUE: First aid kit portable comes with 85 medical grade items…
- FDA APPROVED: Emergency first aid kit manufactured from quality FDA…
- MULTIPURPOSE: First aid kit outdoor great for the home, workplace, schools,…
- Hiking first aid kit lightweight with upgraded Items (based on customers’…
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: If you are not completely satisfied with the quality of…
This kit, which is manufactured by I Go, is a small kit that has a bright red exterior pouch that is easy to see. There are 89 pieces in this kit, which include first aid essentials like gauze pads, bandages that vary in size and shape, medical tape, tweezers, and even an ice pack. The kit has a threefold design that can easily fit into your backpack without taking up much space, and the entire bag only weighs 12 ounces, so it will hardly be noticed.
- See-through pouches make it easy to get what you need.
- The kit is small and convenient to carry.
- It contains quite a lot of medical supplies for an individual.
- The kit is designed with a Velcro closure that is easy to open in an emergency.
- There is a good variety of materials in the kit.
- There is plenty of space in the kit to add more essentials.
- No pain medication or ointment is included in the kit.Bottom-Line: This is one of the most lightweight first aid kits, and it is designed for more than one night.
Be Smart Get Prepared 326 PieceFirst Aid Kit Hard Red Case 326 Pieces Exceeds OSHA and ANSI Guidelines 100 People – Office, Home, Car, School, Emergency, Survival, Camping, Hunting, and Sports
- Made by the number one leading manufacturer of first Aid kits in the USA….
- Meets or exceeds OSHA and ANSI 2009 guidelines for 100 people. Ideal for…
- Fully organized interior compartments provides quick access. Rugged,…
- Two separate layers of first Aid for large and small first aid Products and…
- Wall mounts or folds compactly for storage. Case dimensions: 13″ X 12″ X…
The next first aid kit that we are going to look at is a large 326-piece kit that is designed for a long trip into nature. In fact, this kit meets the OSHA requirements for 100 people, so you will have all of the medical supplies that you need for a month in the wilderness or more. The kit is plastic with interior compartments that are designed to help keep the kit organized so that you can find the medical essentials that you need when you need them.
- The kit has an impact resistant design.
- The kit can be mounted on the wall if you ever use it indoors.
- It contains supplies for a wide variety of medical needs.
- The tilting shelves make it easy to reach larger first aid items that are located under the top shelf.
- The latches that secure the kit are very durable.
- The interior is well organized.
- The plastic kit is a bit large, so it may not work for some smaller travel bags.Bottom-Line: This is the best multiday backpacking kit, and it is a great option for camping as well.
Tripworthy CompactTripworthy Compact First Aid Kit for Medical Emergency – for Home, Car, Camping, Hiking, Sport, Work, Office, Boat, Survival, and Traveling – Small and Lightweight First Aid Bag
- 2019 FDA APPROVED, MEDICAL-GRADE QUALITY: Satisfied with only the highest…
- CONVENIENT, COMPREHENSIVE CARE: This ultimate survival kit consists of…
- DURABLE, LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE DESIGN: Redesigned for 2018 with maximum…
- READY FOR WHATEVER COMES YOUR WAY: There are no warnings for earthquakes,…
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY: You need outdoor gear that’s as tough as you are,…
The Tripworthy Compact First Aid Kit is a great compact kit that is designed to help you be prepared for anything in the wild. The kit has 100 pieces, which includes bandages, prep pads, ointments, gauze, cold compressions, first aid tape, sting relief pads, moleskin, and even a CPR mask. The bag has a red and black design that is easy to see in low light, and the kit is designed with handles that make it easy to attach to your backpack instead of packing it inside when space is limited.
- The compact design makes it easy to pack.
- It has a wide selection of first aid essentials.
- The nylon material is very durable.
- The handles make it easy to carry this kit.
- The kit is very convenient to use outdoors.
- The lightweight design makes it easy to pack in your backpack.
- The kit does not have a waterproof design.Bottom-Line: This is the best kit for a weekend backpacking trip with the family.
Further Related Reading
If you enjoyed this article, then please consider checking out some of our related guides: