Best Men’s Hiking Underwear
Icebreaker Anatomica Merino Wool Boxers
If you hike a lot, you want a pair of hiking underwear that is going to keep you comfortable all day long. The silky and luxurious Icebreaker Anatomica Boxers are engineered for your movement, making them very comfortable to wear. They also help to regulate your body temperature, don’t retain odors, and protect you from UVB rays and UV light.
Made of merino wool fibers, this is a strong and durable pair of underwear that can easily wick moisture away, making them very breathable. You get excellent ventilation and airflow, which is essential when you are active and want to stay dry and not sweaty. Plus, it doesn’t matter how much you sweat; this underwear will never smell.
Along with an incredible fit that is perfect for hiking in the mountains, the Icebreaker Anatomica Boxers have an almost skin-like softness. You also get a contoured pouch and a functional fly that comes in super handy on the trail. And, no matter what environment you are in, these boxers will keep your temperature regulated based on external conditions.
Bottom line: There was very little doubt, but at the end of the day, the Anatomica Boxers came out on top as not just the best wool underwear but beat out the competition to be the best hiking underwear for men for multi-day hiking adventures.
Best Hiking Underwear For Men
Looking for the Best Mens Underwear for Hiking?
You’re in the right place! In this guide, we will be covering the following:
- What features to look for in a pair of travel underwear.
- Reviews of the best underwear on the market
- Our #1 pick for the top underwear for hiking
When you think about hiking apparel, underwear for hiking for many newbies is not going to be high on your list.
However, the best hiking underwear is not only of those items most hikers will spend a ton of money on, but it is an essential part of your wardrobe that needs to be comfortable for the full duration of your trip. If you are on a hiking trip, you want a pair of briefs that is fast drying, is great at wicking moisture away from the skin and has antimicrobial properties to prevent whiffy pongs.
Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best underwear for hiking your next outdoor adventure.
Table of Contents
- Best Men’s Hiking Underwear
- Best Hiking Underwear For Men
- Considerations When Choosing Mens Hiking Underwear
- Features You Should You Look For In Hiking Underwear
- Underwear For Hiking: The Top Models Reviewed
- Icebreaker Anatomica Merino Wool Boxers
- Smartwool Merino Wool 150 Boxer Briefs
- Arc’teryx Phase SL Boxer Men’s
- ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Boxer Brief
- Minus33 Merino Wool Men’s Acadian Boxer Brief
- SAXX Underwear Men’s Vibe Boxer Brief
- MERIWOOL Men’s Boxer Briefs
Considerations When Choosing Mens Hiking Underwear
Usually, breathable hiking underwear will be made of synthetic fabrics. This can include fabrics like nylon and polyester as well as rayon, polypropylene, and a few fabric blends. If your underwear includes spandex, then you will get a great fit from a pair of stretchy and comfortable undergarments that isn’t restrictive. If you choose hiking underwear that uses synthetic fabrics, you will notice these features:
• Quick-drying: Providing great wicking elements that dissipate sweat, synthetics are the best material type to give you a dry feeling.
• Durable Fabric: Able to withstand abrasion, synthetic materials hold up well and are your best option for durability.
• Odor retention: Since synthetic materials usually hold onto odors more than other fabrics, some underwear manufacturers use an odor-preventing finish that stops odor-causing bacteria from building up. This is the best underwear for backpacking and can be a great feature when you spend multiple days out on the trail.
Merino Wool Underwear
Ultrafine, itch-free, and soft, merino wool is an excellent choice when it comes to hiking and camping underwear. Typically, it is blended with other materials like nylon or spandex to improve durability, fit, and flexibility. If you choose hiking underwear made from merino wool, you will notice these features:
- Wicks well: Pulling moisture away from your body and into the material, wool can often retain moisture in the core of its fibers. This can make yarn seem wetter than synthetic fiber, but it won’t make you cold. Plus, it takes longer to dry than other fabrics.
- Keeps you cooler: When temperatures rise, the moisture that is held inside the core of merino wool fibers is released, helping you to feel cooler in warm weather.
- Keeps you warmer: When the mercury drops, then there are few fabrics that can compete with merino wool in cold weather.
- Moderately durable: If the material experiences constant rubbing, you can eventually wear through merino underwear. So, you may notice that the material is becoming thin in some places.
Odor-free: Naturally resistant to bacteria due to its anti-microbial properties wool helps to keep you odor-free, even if you wear it for several days at a time.
Giving you great support prevents chafing, and enhancing moisture wicking, a good-fitting pair of hiking underwear will keep you comfortable when you are out on the trail. Here are a few tips to get the right fit.
• Find a comfortable but snug fit: Find an underwear size that is formfitting, but not that tight that you aren’t comfortable. Also, make sure they aren’t too big so that they don’t rub and bunch, which can be uncomfortable and irritating to your skin. If you like to work out or run, you may prefer to wear compression shorts, but after a few hours on the trail, that consistent pressure can cause your hiking underwear to become uncomfortable.
• Improves wicking: You may think that a looser fit can give you better ventilation, but a material that wicks well actually needs to touch your skin to work effectively. With that in mind, look for more formfitting hiking underwear when choosing the best pair for wicking.
• Longer cuts can prevent chafing: If you want to avoid inner-thigh chafing while hiking, look for a pair of underwear that has an extended cut that will cover the spot where you have experienced discomfort.
Features You Should You Look For In Hiking Underwear
It can be annoying to have a tag in your backpacking underwear that scratches your skin while you are hiking. With tagless underwear, your trip will be a lot more comfortable if you don’t have that constant irritation.
A scratchy underwear seam can be just as annoying as a tag. Look for flatlock seams that won’t irritate your skin while you are moving. These seams are wide and flat and do not rub.
Another vital consideration is a waistband that will sit comfortably around your waist. If you wear a backpack, your waistband can end up getting pressed into your skin. This can turn a little annoyance into a significant irritation when you are on the trail. Keep in mind that flatter waistbands are more comfortable than those that are bulky and thick.
Whether or not you have a fly is a personal preference. If you need a fly, make sure you pay attention as you shop and don’t pick up a pair that doesn’t have one.
If you hike, you know you will get sweaty. This can lead to a lot of odors. And if you are wearing materials that tend to retain odors, your clothes will start to stink. Look for hiking underwear that uses an antimicrobial treatment that will lessen odors, so you will still smell fresh after a few days of use.
Since these treatments can wear off over time, you need to find materials that have natural antimicrobial properties. For example, merino wool underwear is already odor-resistant naturally, so it will never wear off. You can also check out nylon and polyester that have been treated with Polygiene or other anti-microbial agents that provide antimicrobial properties. But, as we mentioned, anti-microbial treatments can wash out eventually.
While unthinkable, it can be possible for your hiking underwear to start to fall apart when you are in the middle of a multiple-day hike. This can be awkward and eventually painful. Look for products that have flatlock seams that give you additional strength and will cut down on chafing since you won’t have that thick seam rubbing up against your skin all the time. The ideal pair can withstand heavy use and won’t fall apart from a few regular washes.
At a minimum, you want your underwear to be easy to maintain, which means machine washable. They should also look the same and retain their properties after regular washings.
Underwear For Hiking: The Top Models Reviewed
Icebreaker Anatomica Merino Wool Boxers
Best Underwear for Hiking
Naturally luxurious, the Icebreaker Merino Men’s Boxers were created to give you comfort all day long. Engineered for movement, this sturdy design helps to regulate your body temperature, is odor-free, and is easy to care for. Breathable, soft, and silky, the Icebreaker Merino Wool Boxers wick away moisture using superfine natural wool fibers.
Providing improved strength and durability, these boxers are built with merino wool fibers that are wrapped around a nylon core. This gives you an almost skin-like softness that supports you through your day to day life and weekend fun. With improved breathability and an incredible snug feel, you also get added ventilation and the most airflow when you are active.
The Icebreaker Merino Wool boxers feature a contoured pouch that comes with a functional fly while the comfortable elastic waist features a satin-finished label in the back. Soft and stretchy, these boxers regulate temperature based on external conditions, so you stay cool or warm, depending on the environment you are in. They also protect from UVB rays and UV light.
- They are incredibly soft and very comfortable to wear
- It doesn’t matter how much you sweat; they will not smell
- Great snug feel that works well for long hikes
- The sizes run a little large, especially in the leg area
- They do not give you as much support as you want
Bottom-Line: Providing a superb fit, the Icebreaker Merino Wool Boxers are super soft and comfortable, plus they will never smell. Not only are they the best merino wool underwear, but they are our top pick as the best hiking underwear overall too.
Smartwool Merino Wool 150 Boxer Briefs
Stay warm by locking in your body heat with the Smartwool Merino 150 Briefs. Using flatlock seam construction, these merino boxer briefs were designed to reduce chafing while the wide elastic waistband was created for the most comfort. With lightweight insulation, this anti-chafing underwear use a 13% nylon core and 87% Merino Jersey fabric for improved durability that feels good against your body.
Versatile and warm, the Smartwool Merino 150 Boxer Briefs are great for outdoor adventures. While they are super comfortable, they also give you a solid foundation that will regulate your body temperature, resist odors, and manage moisture, plus they come with a fully functional fly. Easy to maintain and clean, just toss these boxers into a gentle, warm water cycle and then tumble dry on a low setting.
Great for all-around comfort, the Smartwool Merino Wool Sports are perfect relaxing at home or hitting a hard trail. You get extra support with the double front panel design. Plus, they keep you fresh in the hot summer months with their breathability and warm in the winter with their blended fabric temperature control.
- They are very comfortable, and sizing is right on
- These are perfect for hunting since they don’t gather or bind
- They stay very dry when you sweat
- 87% Merino Wool 13% Nylon
- Moisture-wicking underwear
Bottom-Line: By locking in your body heat, the Smartwool Merino 150 keep you warm are on the trail with their lightweight insulation and blended fabric temperature control.
Arc’teryx Phase SL Boxer Men’s
Best Quick-Drying Underwear
Fast-drying and lightweight, the Arc’teryx Phase SL polyester boxers create a breathable and comfortable pair of boxers with superb moisture-wicking properties. Featuring a comfort waistband, these boxers include a soft-brushed laminated finish. Made with flatlock seams, the Arc’teryx Boxers give you a next to skin experience.
Providing unrestricted mobility, these comfortable boxers are made of a mechanical stretch textile. They include a non-chafing label and a gusseted crotch for freedom of movement, while the anatomical shaping provides comfort and snug feeling. Using advanced technology, the Arc’teryx Boxers were created for day to day use or high-level activity.
Versatile enough to work well in diverse conditions and activities, these boxers create a quick-dry base that you can build your outerwear on top of. They provide excellent moisture management, which is perfect for high-level activities. And, they are constructed of lightweight materials that are easy to pack as well as durability.
- They keep everything in place, even when you bend over
- Fast-drying 100% polyester material
- These boxers are not too tight at all around the waist
- Moisture-wicking wool prevents chafing
- They do not come with a fly
- They do retain odors over time
Bottom-Line: The Arc’teryx Phase SL Boxers conform snugly, giving you a great next to skin experience, and don’t restrict your mobility.
ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Boxer Brief
Best Synthetic Underwear for Hiking
Perfect for any adventure, the ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Mesh Boxers gives you an active fit and a low rise that is supportive on multiple day trips. Using odor-resistant technology, the breathable mesh fabric leaves you fresh and comfortable. Plus, the quick-drying fabric will get you back into your adventure in just hours.
Easy to maintain, you can wash and dry this polyamide (nylon) fabric quickly in the washer or the sink. Silvadur technology provides antimicrobial properties to help eliminate odors for the lifetime of the underwear. While the lightweight fabric gives you support that doesn’t weigh you down. With breathable fabric, you get better airflow, especially during intense activity. The Exofficio Give-N-Go are perfect for running, hiking, and cycling, these boxers offer convenience, comfort, and compression.
An excellent choice for a trail runner, the ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport Briefs won’t chafe or leave you raw after a long run. You get all-day support with the specially designed fly panel and excellent breathability with the stretchy mesh fabric.
- They are very comfortable with a fantastic fit
- The fabric is comfortable no matter what temperature it is or how much you sweat
- Moisture-wicking underwear that reduces chafing
- Design provides support and comfort
- There are too many color choices and no black option
- The design causes some parts of you to stick out more than some users are comfortable with
Bottom-Line: With no chafing and a great fit, the ExOfficio Give-N-Go Sport are soft, comfortable, and ideal for any type of climate.
Minus33 Merino Wool Men’s Acadian Boxer Brief
Providing the ultimate performance and comfort, the Minus33 Merino Wool Boxer Briefs are lightweight men’s briefs that keep you dry and cool. Perfect for the office, running, hiking, or biking, this comfortable and supportive wool men’s underwear can become a part of your day to day routine. They are machine washable and come with a great selection of colors.
With an athletic fit, these skin-tight boxer briefs have a compression style sensation. They work the best as a base layer when layering your garments. If you plan to use them for regular activities and need a relaxed fit, you will want to choose the next size up.
These breathable and fast-drying wool no-stink underwear feature a flatlock seam that gives you the most comfort and reduces chafing, which allows your boxers to move with you.
Plus, flatlock seams is not only stronger but also helps your boxers last longer. They are also machine-washable boxers that do not lose their shape or fade remaining comfortable and soft for their entire lifetime.
Using 100% 17 ½ microns Merino Wool, these boxer shorts only weigh 3 ½ ounces. Wools natural antimicrobial properties mean odors are nothing to worry about. The Minus33 antimicrobial underwear have great sizes and color options and are perfect for sitting at home or hitting the trails.
- Antimicrobial properties prevent odor buildup
- Moisture-wicking for dry comfort and a chafe free hike.
- They are definitely worth the money with their fit and performance
- They are a bit itchy at first
- A little on the expensive side
Bottom-Line: Minus33 Merino Wool Boxer Briefs tend to a higher price point, but the word on the trail says they are worth it for their support and performance.
SAXX Underwear Men’s Vibe Boxer Brief
Best Hiking Boxers
Giving you friction-free support, the SAXX Vibe Boxer Briefs use a patented technology that will lessen friction while giving you more comfort. These functional and high-performing boxer briefs are great for day-to-day wear or weekend adventures. Helping you to stay fresher longer, these use super-soft fabrics that give you the most breathability.
With a barely-there feeling, the fit of the SAXX Vibe Briefs uses an ergonomic construction with nine panels. This creates 3D support around your hamstrings, thighs, quads, and glutes. They are designed to reduce friction and provide functional comfort. And, they also use reverse stitching that places the softer and flatter side of the material against your body.
In addition, to further reduce the risk of chafing the viscose fabric has great moisture-wicking capabilities. The SAXX Vibe Boxer Briefs are machine washable and features a patented BallPark Pouch that gives you friction-free support while keeping everything in place. Perfect for long hikes, you get all-day comfort with fabric that quickly wicks away sweat so you stay comfortable and dry.
- These are great for support when you are active
- There is low friction with this product, and they fit like a second skin
- These boxers are very comfortable and soft with good coverage
- They don’t wick very well
- The waistband is too confining
Bottom-Line: Giving you a good amount of support when you are active, the SAXX Underwear Men’s Vibe Boxer Brief offers friction-free support making any activity more comfortable.
MERIWOOL Men’s Boxer Briefs
Best Mens Woollen Underwear
Offering breathability and comfort, the Meriwool wool boxer briefs are odor resistant and tagless. Perfect for hiking or a day in the office, these boxer briefs are designed to fit your legs while staying dry all day long. This all-natural wool brief is made of 100% merino wool that allows you to keep cool and confident all day long.
Made with ultrafine 17 ½ micron Merino wool, the Meriwool boxer briefs give you the most airflow while wicking away moisture. With a long inseam, they are easy to layer under your clothes to keep you warm and provide a good fit. While wool may seem like a warm material, it’s superb moisture-wicking properties actually help keep you comfortable and clean when you wear them.
Designed to give you all-day comfort, you can wear the Meriwool boxer briefs during the most extreme activities in either winter or summer. Available in either black or charcoal gray, these smooth and silky boxer briefs are quick-drying and breathable. They are also machine washable for easy care and maintenance.
- They have excellent durability and hold up well
- They have the feel and length of compression shorts but the softness of Merino wool
- This product helps you stay nice and warm and doesn’t retain odors
- Superb moisture-wicking ability
- They run a little large
- There is a lot of pilling after awhile
Bottom-Line: The Meriwool Boxer Briefs are a great base layer for a hike that gives you the length and feel of compression shorts.
Keep up to date on the latest “trail fashion trends” with our articles.
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API